Thursday, February 16, 2012

Weekly Tech Spotlight: Jacob Montgomery, Wireless Paradise, Owensboro

This week we have our weekly Tech Spotlight featuring Jacob Montgomery, TC at Wireless Paradise in Owensboro, Ky.  Jacob's background in theater coupled with his obvious "tech-fu" makes him a perfect fit for ASC life on "The Island" as I like to call it.  With the remoteness and singularity of his ASC, he makes good use of every tool and possible resource to meet customer needs. So sit back and enjoy a conversation that speaks to a techs needed skills.


What do you enjoy the most about working for Sprint?
I enjoy having a $42 phone bill for sure. Haha, but seriously, I enjoy keeping up to date and being on the bleeding edge of mobile communications. 

What do feel you do best at in life?
Being an IT guy, it's what I've always done, it's what I feel most comfortable with.

What skills do you have that makes you unique to Service and Repair?
Well, other than people skills and some know-how, I think steady hands and experience are what I really have to offer. 

What is the wildest customer situation you have ever had to deal with?
I've had a customer try to convince me that her phones had always worked in a certain area. She had upgraded and believed the phone was to blame. Looked up the coverage for the area, lo and behold, nada. The device was also 'not charging' which of course proved to be false upon plugging the device in to EVERY charger we had, INCLUDING the customer's charger, it worked, flawlessly. More to come about this customer...

Have you ever feared for your life while working with a customer?
The Customer [above] was irate because of other things going on, and apparently, it was my fault. It was also my fault that the customer's phone 'wasn't working'.Customer started screaming at me, brought her dog, groceries, and all kinds of stuff in. Customer had also been banging on the counter, and at one point, pulled a fist back <- Where I thought I might die. Mind you, this was probably in my second month working for the company, and I had no real idea how to handle the situtation. This is when I pulled the 'phone-a-friend' lifeline and called you  to get some usage stats and a prior 30-day analysis of cell usage. Customer left the store after having proof sat in front of them. It was a good and bad feeling. Good, in that I got to taste victory without having to get nasty with the customer, bad because I knew this customer was dealing with some personal issues and just needed to vent.

Do you have a wife? GF? Kids? Do they like the fact that you work for a cell phone company?
No wife, no girlfriend ( May be changing soon :-), and 2 kids. The kids are too young to care where I work, they do however get pretty excited when I come home from work. That's just about the best feeling ever. None of my friends or family care too much that I work for a cell phone company, they are just happy that I get to do something I like to do, and that I was actually able to get a job, and hopefully a career in these trying times. 

If you won 1 million dollars what would be the first thing you would do?
Take care of any outstanding debts, get a new car, and probably split the rest into 3 ROTH accounts. Nothing like being able to retire early. 

What innovative things are you planning to do in 2012?
Can't let any secrets out of the bag just yet, but I'm sure some things will emerge this year. Something about Z-day and finding out a way to attack zombies with Lightsquared's LTE towers that the gov't deems unsafe to deploy right now. 

What is your 5 yr game plan for life/family?
I just take it one day at a time. Who knows what the next 5 years will bring. 

What is the coolest tech gadget you own?
Hmm, either my cell-phone, or my whitebox for sure. 

You like computers, what would be considered the nerdiest thing you have ever done with a computer?
Built her myself. Her name is Baby. 

What is the nerdiest thing you have ever done with a phone?
I once themed my phone out completely, the entire GUI and sound scheme for the retro SNES classic, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past.

What do you think makes a good tech?
Any prior knowledge is always a plus. A tech must be patient, have an eagerness to learn, and must be willing to accept that there are alternative means to the same end. You can't always be right. That's always something to keep in mind. It's great to be confident, but remember, we are dealing with technology. 1's and 0's are far more forgiving than customers. Just be patient and use BEST practices, and use EVERY tool at your disposal. I think that makes a good tech.

No comments:

Post a Comment